Monday, December 21, 2015

Week 14: Looking for our Mission Leader??

This coming week is the week we have all been looking forward to... Christmas!! Who doesn't love Christmas!  Family, food, friends, music and snow.  How I love the time of Christmas, and the joy that it brings!!  When I think about this year, it will be a little different.  I won't be with my family, I won't be in the States, I won't get to spend Christmas like my typical Christmas, but I do get to spend Christmas this year the best way I could possibly ask for... Going outside and telling people of Christ's Birth and why I can be happy, why I feel loved always because Christ was born.  And that is such an amazing gift in itself.  I love it here and it is definitely getting cold in Korea.  The island that I am on is surrounded by water and the wind is super cold. But it is wonderful being here. 

So the message that I want to share today is about Christ's birth because Christmas is coming up.  Christmas is such a special time and I love everyday leading up to it. Although I am a missionary, I have to have a good time too.  So, I only felt like it was natural to have a Christmas tree in our house, so we got that.  But Christmas is filled with special feeling and a whole lot of love towards one another.  And I want to use the word "Wonderful" to describe you.  The word "Wonderful" is used in the scriptures to describe Christ.  In Isaiah 9:6, it states "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."   When the word "wonderful" is used, it is no simple phrase.  The gravity and magnitude this word has is immeasurable.  And, I think you are “wonderful” too.  So for this Christmas, think of someone who is Wonderful.  Think of someone that you love and adore, someone who is Christ-like and want to give thanks to and do so.  I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and through him all things are possible. Therefore, I know without a shadow of a doubt that he is Wonderful, Jehovah, Counsellor, my Redeemer and my Savior and I know he lives.

That was the message I wanted to share with all today.  So a rundown of my week goes a little something like this:
So starting with last Monday.  After we finished emailing, we had to go drop of some stuff for a member. This lady is like our island mom and she is great, but she needs us a lot so we help her out.  We waited at the store for one hour, but she didn't come. So, we went home and waited for her.  She came and we gave her stuff to her.  It was great!  Then we went over to the Church and waited for Tharindu, our wonderful Srilankan investigator, but unfortunately he was busy and was unable to come. So we went outside in the cold and talked to people about the gospel. It was fantastic!

Then on Tuesday we got to go to our special service activity that always gives me a huge smile on my face.  They are so fun and amazing, and I love the people I teach English to.  Then we went home and made nice message cards, and then went to a member’s house and she wasn't home so we placed the message card on her door.  As soon as we left the apartment, she came walking up and says “ohh hello missionaries,” and invites us in.  We told her that we had about 30 minutes to talk and she was like “ohhh okay... Well... I think you actually have one hour and a half so sit down and have dinner and what not.”  So, we had dinner and that was great and her son is a little less active in the Church, but he was super happy that we were there and we talked a lot.  It was a wonderful experience!

On Wednesday, we had our Christmas party, and it was very spiritual with many musical numbers, games, fun and a Church movie about the pioneers at the end of the meeting.  I got to see people that I left the Missionary Training Center with and that was so fun!  It is so funny because I am new and not many people know me yet, so, many people would come up to me and ask... Are you Korean? I say no. Are you half Korean? I say no. What are you then? Half Japanese... Oh... Wait can you speak Japanese? Yes... OHH MY!!! So they would freak out but all the Koreans would ask me that.  And then I speak to them and they are like no you're lying... You're Korean.  I still said no, and the haircut also makes me look super Asian.  Anyways... So then we went back to Yeoungdo, and went outside and talked to people about the Church again.  It is great that we can talk to many people and do God's will.  I am so happy to be here!!

Thursday was a very long, amazing day!  So on Thursday, we planned out our week and typically planning takes about three hours, but it took three and a half on Thursday.  It was great to plan and planning is very crucial.  Without planning, many things can't get done, and if we are unorganized and do not have any goals, we cannot progress and help others progress.  So then we got ready to teach Japanese class and then after Japanese class we went outside and talked to others and that went super well!

Friday was a very good day. It was freezing cold and sunny which doesn't seem to do anything in Korea actually.  So we go clean up Sister Choi SongJa's fish bread stand and waited for 2 hours without her... It was so cold... Then we came and we taught a message. Then we studied, and made message cards --- because we love the Lord, no matter how cold it was outside, we went out.  J
So we went out and tried to meet with some less active members, but they weren't home so we left message cards on their doors and talked to others outside... It was a very very very cold day.

Saturday was a great day too! We taught our regular English class and everyone who shows up to it is so wonderful!  I taught a short, spiritual message at the end, and everyone listened well.  The message was about how families can stay together forever because Christ was born.  Then after that got done, we went out looking for our ward mission leader (the member of the church who looks out for missionaries and tries to help us out).  The address system in Korea changed about 10 years ago and we only have his old address and he hasn't attended church in 2 years that we had to ask for help to find this man’s house.  We looked for two and a half hours in the cold to with no luck at all.  But that’s okay. J  I am happy that I got to talk to many people while doing it!  Then we went to some other people’s houses and gave message cards, and then on our way home, we helped Sister Choi SongJa finish up at her stand.

Sunday was so wonderful! So many people came to church and we got to plan many things. We went outside and taught the gospel, and that was amazing! I am so uplifted on Sundays, and there is no way my week would be so great if I didn't go to Church every week!  I love going to church and helping others come closer unto Christ!

I am so happy that is it Christmas, and I hope you have such a great Christmas as well.  Be grateful and generous and remember the true meaning of Christmas! J

Love,

Elder Wilson



Around the island I serve
Japanese Lesson


Preparation is Important!!

The Missionaries Love Christmas!!



No comments:

Post a Comment