Monday, January 11, 2016

Week 16: Happy 2016

I love the New Year, and love the goals that are made.  The New Year just has such an atmosphere to it, and I really can say how wonderful it is that we are able to spend New Years with our loved ones and that we have such a great season to celebrate not only the Saviors birth, but also the welcoming of a new year!  I'm sure that all things went well and that New Years was a great time for all.

With the theme of the New Year in mind, I would like to concentrate on something that I have been sharing with everyone lately.  As you know well, New Years is about a lot of things, and many people focus on making goals and/or resolutions of what they want to commit themselves to do to become a better person as they grow up.  So the story that I want to share is one of my favorite stories, the Tree of Life. This story is found in the Book of Mormon in a book called 1st Nephi.  A little background here is that Lehi, the prophet at the time, has a dream about him and his family.  This dream is that he is wandering in darkness and is holding onto an iron rod which leads to a tree with a fruit that is sweet and delicious beyond measure.  But there are a few things that distract from this course, things such as a thick fog, a very straight and "narrow" path, a large cliff and water, a large spacious building with people mocking those who are clinging to this Iron Rod.

Lehi in this dream gets to the Tree and eats this fruit and says "And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy".  This great joy that he has inside his heart is something that resonates inside of my heart.  This is the joy that is brought from the gospel of Jesus Christ.  That families can be together forever, that I can live with all the people I love for eternity, that I can be happy and at all times am being watched over.

Lehi later goes onto say "I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit."  I really am desirous for all to be happy and trust in the Lord.  And Lehi finally says, "And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree."  So based on this story, I really do want you, one of my loved and cherished ones to come unto Christ and to see what joy it brings.  Come closer unto him and trust God.  Love others and spend time with them, be grateful and most of all be Wonderful. 

So now with that I would like to talk about what has happened this past week!!  :)  
SO here it goes. Last Monday, we went out to eat with other missionaries and then went shopping for goods. Then we went to our beloved 임남미 (Eem Nam Mi)'s house and we made Sushi or (김밥) a little more modified version of it.  It was super fun and we had just a blast of a time.  I really love that woman! She is about 65 and just awesome!  So great and I really do enjoy her so much and the love she shows towards us!

Tuesday was such a packed day!!  In the morning after waking up, my trainer and I had to go to a meeting at headquarters in Busan.  This meeting is for trainers and trainees, and it is just the halfway point to see how everyone is doing and how they are adjusting.  So we had that and it was great!  I am so glad to see all the people that I got to leave the Missionary Training Center with!  It was awesome! :)   We got to talk ,and man, how I miss everyone so much! Then we came back to Yeongdo, got to go out and share the gospel, and went and dropped off brownies to our beloved members.  That is what we are doing now.  We visit members and give them goodies because they are amazing and we want to show how much we love them.

On Wednesday, we got to go up and clean Sister Choi SeongJa's Fish bread shop! (최성자 자매님)  That went well. Everyday I grow closer to the people here, and my heart feels like it is at home.  How I love being here.  I am just in wondering awe that I get to be here, and it just doesn't feel real.  I just love being here in Yeongdo.  This is my family :) Then we went home, ate, and went to an appointment with a possible investigator, but he didn't show up and said that we will meet in the future.  So then after that we went, called people and talked to people about the gospel. Then one of our members asked us for a favor. So we went and got some books and brought it to her shop and we sat down and talked and we shared a message.  She opened up to us a lot and it is just amazing to see how much they love us and trust us!  I love being a missionary, this really is such a great work!

On Thursday, we got to have a great meeting with other missionaries in our area, and we had the opportunity to talk to people because we got to the meeting early.  We met someone who really is just wonderful --words can't describe her-- and she is so genuine and she really does want the gospel.  So we talked to her about it and that was great!  She is meeting with the missionaries now.  Then after the meeting we all went out to eat and then because some of the missionaries said the bus was quicker than the subway we rode the bus and it got stuck in traffic so we were 14 minutes late to an appointment.  :(  
We got off the bus and sprinted and met them. We taught this person english and that went well, and then after which I taught Japanese class.  After Japanese class, we went home and made calls!  Thursday was a very very very busy day actually, a lot of talking to people and meeting. Yes, and although it was New Years Eve we went to sleep before 12. Missionary life is great!

So then on Friday.... Happy New Years for sure!  So we studied, got invited to go to a buffet with all the members of the Yeoungdo branch, and so we went out and ate with them. Then we came back to Yeoungdo, and waited for our great friend and investigator Lee Sanghoon (이상훈).  We actually went and played basketball on New Years... Like.... Yes!!! :) So we went out with his friend Song Hosok (송호석) and played basketball.  So at first it was Missionaries against Koreans, so they would get up like 6-0, and Elder Tuinei looks at me and is like "we are going to lose, and you haven't even shot lol."  I was like "it'll so okay."  So I get the rebound and rattle off 8 points to win.  Then It was Elder Tuinei and Lee Sanghoon against Song Hosok and I, so then it goes like 6-0 and Elder Tuinei is like... "Hmmm... It looks like it is about that time when the tide turns."  Then I rattled off 8 points. Then last game, and same deal.  It is so fun playing basketball!  Then we got to share a great message and they both took it real well!  We are going to hang with them on Wednesday actually!  Then we went out and shared the gospel more... So much sharing :)

Then on Saturday,  we got to go hiking with our investigator Mr. Won.  When we got to a certain point at the mountain, there were workout equipments.  So, we worked out with him, and Mr. Won wanted me to do the circuit with him!  It was a great time and then we ate lunch together and shared a great message, got to know him more and to really understand what he needs.  I love that man, and I just always want to hug people because they are really wonderful. I just love them and adore these people!  Then we taught English and got to have a meeting with our branch president.  Then while we were trying to weekly plan, we get a call that we need to go tend Choi SongJa''s fish bread stand, so we went up and we did.  That really was so great!  It is the right thing to do for sure, and I love seeing her and talking to her. That was Saturday.

Sunday was so spiritual. Fast and Testimony meeting was fantastic and everyone went up and bore their testimonies about God, and how He is there, and their goals and how God will help them accomplish them.  One of the things I liked the most was at the end where the 1st counselor in the Branch Presidency was bearing his testimony.  He has been having a hard time lately, and he started crying.  He talked about how he was unable to be there for his son's birth and he just kept saying... "How can I be a better man, and am I even a good man?"  That line resonated in me. "Am I even a good man?" " How can I be better?" This is a deep question for sure, and I always need to be better. There is no stopping progression, but how can I be a better man is something that will resonate in my heart and I invite you to ask yourselves that, and to do some self reflection because it helps :) 
Then later we planned and went and shared the gospel with others!

That has really been my week so far.  My last words here are "how can I be better?" and "What can I do to make myself better?"  I know that the Lord will bless and he loves all his Children.  The scripture that I want to share is one that I believe is applied to all people.  It comes from 1st Nephi 9:6 "But the Lord knoweth all things from the beginning; wherefore, he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works among the children of men; for behold, he hath all power unto the fulfilling of all his words. And thus it is. Amen." He does know all things. He knows you are he loves you and please remember that.

Happy late New Years! :)

Love,

Elder Wilson
Happy Bowling Hour with Other Missionaries

Korean version of  Japanese fish pastry called Taiyaki: Bungeoppang (붕어빵)

That is the bridge to get onto the island that I serve

No comments:

Post a Comment