Monday, January 25, 2016

Week 19: So Cold....

In Busan, it doesn't really snow, and it doesn't rain in the winter... It is just cold, and being on an island makes it even colder with a whole lot of wind..  It has been freezing this week for sure.  I love it here nonetheless.  
We spent a lot of time outside this week finding people to meet with.  This week has been wonderful even though it is cold! I love it so much!!

So this week's message is a simple one, and it is about “parenthood” and “service.”  Service is a very general word.  We are able to "serve" others in many ways, but what exactly is service??  Are we doing service to be recognized?  Are we doing service because we got told to?  No!
Service is done because of love.  Because when we genuinely love someone, we want to help them be great, and to help them be the best person they can be.  I'm not a parent; I'm a mere 18-year-old boy here in Korea trying to help others be happier.  In all honesty though, I believe parenthood is not only love, but also service.  You want your child to be great, you want them to have all the great things you had and more, you work so hard so they can live a better life than you did and you hope they have the greatest times.  So... How does my Heavenly Father feel?  He has given us a way that we can be as great as Him…. But, how is that??  It is through the atoning sacrifice of my Savior, my Redeemer, Jesus Christ.   All we need to do is to use the atonement, and we can be like our Father in Heaven. That is all for my message.

This week has been super cold as I said.  There seems to be a difference in being wet, or being humid and cold and having the wind slice your skin. My companion and I were talking to each other and were kind of joking around and were like “you know, where these winds come from... Siberia...”  No joke though, it has been super cold and windy.

So last Monday, we hung out with our members for P-day.  Unfortunately, our beloved Tharindu couldn't come to meet with us, so we went outside and talked to some people.  At night it was actually pretty cold.

Tuesday was..... FREEZING!!!   So, we studied in the Morning and then we went up to our service activity at the special English class!! It was so fun and we had so many new faces. We played the “Hang man” game.  They guessed letters and they always picked the same letters and after they run out.  So, they are like “what to do???”  So, we helped them out and when they figured the word out, they were so happy!!  :) 
Then after that we went to our house and got a bunch of Book of Mormon's and walked outside.  We walked around the Island for 5 hours and it was freezing. By the time you know it, I couldn't feel; my face and my toes just felt numb!!
It was awesome though.  :)  I love being outside and helping others!!  I was so glad I got to talk to people too!! 

Also a super crazy experience, while we were walking and it was freezing cold, we just saw an old grandma on the side of the road crying.   We asked her if she was alright, but she started crying on my companion and was talking about her family.  Then I tried to help her and she was like “I'm so glad my sons came to help me..”   She had a pungent liquor odor and she was so drunk.  So we took her back to her house slowly and she was just like “my sons!” and trying to touch our faces and crying..  But, she was happy and we got her home safely although she probably had no clue where she was.  Luckily that the people that live by her recognized it was she, and so, her was able to return her home. 

Wednesday wasn't too cold, but we studied in the morning and then all day we went outside and tried to talk to people. Our investigator cancelled on us, so we went outside and talked to people, called others and tried to make appointments. Although people weren't picking, up we talked to a pretty good amount of people.

Thursday we had a broadcast that we attended at headquarters for the mission.  But, we were first misinformed to go elsewhere that we showed up to another building and no one was there.  We called and they were like “oh... Yea it got changed.”  We hurried and went to headquarters.  After we listened to the broadcast and had a great time, we did exchanges with the zone leaders.  So Elder Harkness and I came to Yeongdo and spent time talking to others and visiting Choi SongJa.  Then at around 7, I taught the Japanese class and then we went home and ate chicken!!

Friday, we got to go clean up sister Choi SongJa's shop and then we talked to her and just taught a simple lesson.  After that, we ate, and Elder Harkness and I got on a train to go switch companions back to our original areas.  Then after we met our companions, Elder Tuinei and I went home and planned for the rest of the day.

On Saturday we had English class and... 15 people came to the class.  Usually we have about 8, but 15 people came. So we taught the class, and then after that, we cleaned the Church.  Saturday was also freezing, but after we cleaned we went outside and got to talk to a whole bunch of people and that was good!  We are letting people hear the word of God and I'm so glad I can do that!

Sunday was... FREEEZZZZING!!  So we had church and in sacrament meeting we had all the young men and young women bear their testimony, and people were crying and it was so spirit filled and emotional!  Also we had a missionary just got back from Los Angeles, and her family is part members so she is looking to live with them for eternity.  After church, we went outside looking for people and then after that we had to go attend a meeting for all leaders of the church.  So we went to this meeting, and we kind of felt out of place.  We are the leaders for the young men, but we were the only foreigners, only missionaries, only 18-year-old people at this meeting.  Though, it was super good, and the branch leadership bonded well.  Then after that, we unfortunately had another investigator cancel, but he will meet with us today!

So that was our day and we were super happy!! So just in closing, I want to say I love you guys a lot and I hope you have a great week!!

Love 

Elder Wilson




No comments:

Post a Comment